Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re:Questions on Netbackup Vaulting

2003-05-01 15:53:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re:Questions on Netbackup Vaulting
From: vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com (vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:53:09 -0500
Hi all,
I apologize for  the lengthy email.I have been trying to setup Netbackup
Vault for the first time and as such this is my first experience using
Vault. My current setup is as below

Netbackup version : 4.5  at patch level 2
Master Server :Solaris 8 also a media server
Storage Unit: STK ACSLS  L700  ( 20 DLT7000 Tape Drives) using the SSO
Media Servers: Solaris 8  ( 2 Servers) and Windows 2000 (3 Servers)

Just a note: I have a copy of the Nebackup Vault sysadmin guide  and am
following the instructions in this manual.

I need to vault the daily incremental and a weekly full backup of four
Netbackup Client machines (Solaris 8).Here are my questions.
I started off by creating a new Vault robot and made an entry for my Robot
number, but my Robot Control host shows up as one of the media
servers even before i could make an entry.My  Master server is actually the
robot control host and not my media server.There is no option to change my
robot control host atleast using the jnbSA GUI. Is there anyfile where in i
need to make changes that would then reflect on the New Vault Robot
creation screen at the robot control host field?

I then  created a new policy and selected Vault as my policy type.When this
was done the button used to add clients got deactivated. I however
went on to complete the schedule & files but was not sure as to what needs
to be entered for the sessionid entry in the
"vlteject -eject - report - [vault vault_name [-sessionid id] [-auto y|n]
[-eject_delay seconds] that is needed to be part of the entry  in the files
attribute.
Do we need to have the enntries for vltrun and vlteject in the Files Tab.If
yes what should they be like??

I then went on to create a new Vault profile. In the choose backup tab i
started off by working on selecting  the four clients machines whose
backups i needed to vault but since these were obviously not present (as i
could'nt add them when i created the Vault policy) i instead added
these four client machines into a different policy that had my master
server as the backup server for that policy) My new Vault policy is
still not yet activated but i had all these four client machines getting
backed up as part of yesterday nights backup from a policy created for
backing up other clients on the master server.

Is there something wrong in the way i am adding the four clients and  what
more do i need to do to have my Vault configuration working.And whats the
best way to test and see if it works.BTW i have created  separate voulme
pools for holding my onsite tapes and tapes to be ejected for vaulting
after duplication for both the data as well as the catalog backups. I want
to even keep an onsite copy of my catalogs and vault a copy to the offsite
location as well. Where do i specify the volume pool  for holding tape's
that would be used for  duplicating  catalog backups which are later to be
vaulted  to an offsite storage and how do i duplicate tapes that hold the
Catalog Backups.

We need a retention period of 2 months for our daily incrementals and
weekly full backups but Netbackup doesnt have any retention levels for 2
months but One, Three,Six .... months etc. Is there a way i can specify
retentions for 2 months.I noticed that there was no option to specify
retention levels at the Policy level for a Vault type policy .

I  once again apologize for such a  lengthy email.Any help received would
be sincerely appreciated.

Best Regards

     Vallish  S .Anantha
     Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
     Infrastructure Team {SAN & UNIX Admin}
     Dallas Accelerated Delivery Center
     Direct : 972-556-7510
     Cell :469-877-4557

     CGEYComm: 3682626
     vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com
     AIM -ID: vsananth69

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and is the property of the Cap Gemini/Ernst & Young Group.  It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy,
disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete all copies of this message