Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault 4.5MP3 problems with volume groups

2003-05-01 11:53:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault 4.5MP3 problems with volume groups
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T. Smith)
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 11:53:30 -0400
Background: I'm just configuring VAULT 4.5MP3.  I started with several
vaults and more profiles and backed up some data.  Then I bpexpdate'd
those duplication and catalog tapes and discarded the vault
configuration (from the GUI).  I didn't understand how VAULT was to use
volume groups.  Then I had a test vault, with test volume groups and
volume pools. It seemed to work OK. Then I copied that vault and profile
to a new vault and profile and proceeded to change all of the names
(volume pools and groups) and other config for use in "production"
(again using GUI).

On the new "to-be-production" vault, the duplications are going OK.
Tapes are selected from the appropriate group/pool and changed to my new
"dup" volume pool.  Catalog backups fail with no media available. When I
look in the logs, vault is looking for tapes in my old test group, not
the new, currently defined group.  If I put tapes in the old test cat
group, the catalog backups run fine. Finally, During the eject/report
stages, vault finds the catalog tapes to backup, but does not find the
duplication tapes. The logs show it is looking at the old test group for
dups instead of the currently defined volume group.

Anyone seen anything like this or have a way "out"?  I guess that I'll
have to throw away all my current dup's, delete the configuration, go in
and delete any files left around, and hope that I find everything (but
don't remove anything vital to NBU/DC & VAULT.   Suggestions?

cheers, wayne