Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup new SAN environment

2003-05-01 11:21:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup new SAN environment
From: fdoran AT concordefs DOT com (Doran, Frank)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:21:34 -0400
Hello,

We are currently running NetBackup 4.5 with a Solaris 8 Master/Media server
with 4 NT Media Servers and 11 Solaris Media Servers. The Media Servers are
connected to a StorageTek SN6000 tape san. These are all backing up data
that is direct attached to approx 150 NT and UNIX clients. We recently
purchased a Symmetrix DMX 2000 and plan to migrate all of our data to this
SAN. In addition to this migration, we are also consolidating our 60 UNIX
Clients/Media servers to domains on three Sun 15K servers. My questions Are:
1.      How are other Veritas clients backing up data on a Symmetrix?
2.      Instead of Media Servers on the new 15K domains,  could we dedicate
other servers as backup servers, connect these to the tape and disk SANs,
and take the load off of the servers were the applications are?
3.      If #2 can be done, are there any backup and restore considerations?

Thanks,

Frank
fdoran AT concordefs DOT com