Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: ADDL SUMMARY: SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity

2003-04-29 03:15:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: ADDL SUMMARY: SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity
From: jv711 AT yahoo DOT com (JV)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
>As a follow up to the summary I sent out a couple of weeks ago our
IBM
>rep finally got something back to me which I think does a nice job
of =
>reiteratering the isssues surrounding sharing a single HBA for disk
and
>tape traffic.  Enjoy!

I am no fan of IBM, but mixing storage and tape on the same HBA just
seems like your throughput would go down so far it'd be sad, but
maybe if you're running lightly loaded uniprocessor systems your
users might not notice.

SCSI HBAs are cost pennies in comparison to Veritas licenses. I would
recommend fiber channel HBAs if budget allows. There's a fire sale on
1 GB HBAs now that 2 GB are in vogue.