Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Queue size

2003-04-17 07:04:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Queue size
From: Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com (Weber, Philip)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:04:09 +0100
I've got no answer to this but we may be in a similar situation.  I think we
have loaded up our existing setup with new clients to the point where we are
now hitting performance problems - such as periods overnight when our drives
are idle because no new backups are being submitted, despite many being
scheduled - then backups failing because their window has ended.

Seemed to be Netbackup taking too long to sort out its schedules, maybe
because too many schedules were starting at the same time, maybe because the
bpsched wakeup interval was too short.  I have upped the wakeup interval to
30 mins and staggered starts of schedules, but still getting issues.  Maybe
we are hitting a similar queue limit?

Basically seems like our setup is creaking somewhere but I'm having trouble
pinning down where.  During the periods when Netbackup seems to be examining
its schedules, the master server/OS does not seem to be under any stress.
We currently have 4 * Sun E450 media servers, 2 * L700, 18 + 20 DLT7000s.
Due for major upgrade but the wheels of spec/purchase grind slowly and in
the meantime I'm trying to massage greater throughput for the existing kit
:-(.