Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup time using 1 tape drive

2003-04-02 16:57:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup time using 1 tape drive
From: dbase77 AT yahoo DOT com (Feroz F. Basir)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:57:56 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,

I need some suggestion regarding this issue. I have 2
machines and each attach to sun storedge L25. 1 has 2
tape drives and the other one just 1 drive. I've been
doing some testing on 2 tape drives which gave me good
backup time and restore. Below is my detail:

buffer = 245K
net_buffer = 256K
no_buffer_data = 16

I backup about 70 GB oracle data and 10 GB system file
and third party application. Using 2 tape drives
concurrently gave me 35 minutes backup time for DB and
40 minutes for system file and 3rd party app.

Now I want to use only 1 tape drive and dump
everything on it. Reason to use 1 tape drive is so
that I can make duplicate copy of backup for offside
store.

Test1 - no multistream/no multiplex. Backup time 6 hrs
40 mins

That is unacceptable result. On my old system, backup
even faster. What am I doing wrong here? Anybody could
share their experience?

Thank you in advance.

regards,
feroz