Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup NDMP Question

2003-04-02 08:01:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup NDMP Question
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 08:01:13 -0500
>> "Daryl Katauskas" <DKatauskas AT nst-inc DOT com> 4/1/03 5:41:01 PM >>>
Hello:

I've been researching NetBackup NDMP for a client and have a couple of
questions that don't seem to be directly addressed in the Admin Guide.

1.  Is it possible to restore files backed up from an NDMP host to a
Non-NDMP host (e.g. WIN2K or UNIX host)?

There is no easy way to do this. Ndmp is special, and the format it
dumps to tape with is potentially different for each ndmp host. Even
though the ndmp license is on your nbu server, the client comes built in
to the san host. I.E., we have a Network Associates filer, the client
was already on it when we purchased it. We couldn't use it for an ndmp
backup until we purchased the license and installed it on our master
server, though. The implementation of the ndmp client is determined by
the vendor who sells you the san server.
Having said that, in theory there are ways to use tar or dump to read
the ndmp backup tape and extract a file from it. It's not something I'd
want to try, but it may be possible. You'd have to tar the file to your
nbu server then copy it to it's final location. You lose any acl's that
were backed up with the file, though.

2.  Ist it possible to utilize a SAN attached library and share it
between a NetBackup Media Server and a NDMP host?
     (e.g. Utilize two out of four drives for NDMP and use the
remaining two drives for the NBU Media Server to backup other   clients
via the network)

I have been told that this is possible(by Veritas). Not to share the
ndmp drives, but to have, for example, 4 drives in a library, dedicate
two of them to the ndmp backup and the other two attached to the nbu
server. I'm getting ready to find out soon. We have a 6 drive lto
library that has two drives for ndmp and I'm waiting to get the other 4
drives and a second media server that will attach to them. I think the
media server has to control the library, instead of the ndmp host.
In my case, the library is currnetly attached directly to the filer
through fibre, straight from the library to an hba in the filer. What
I'll be doing is putting a brocade switch in the middle of everything,
controlling the library from a Win2K media server, and still having two
drives dedicated to the filer.
Wish me luck.

If anybody has any information they could share regarding these topics,
 it would be much appreciated.

TIA,

Daryl Katauskas
Senior Systems Engineer, Storage Solutions
Network System Technologies, Inc.
Office: 630-281-7041
Fax:     630-904-9601
email:  dkatauskas AT nst-inc DOT com