Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up to disk

2003-04-01 08:53:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up to disk
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 06:53:04 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2F856.04866E30

We do backups do disk here.  The array is just 220G that I threw together
from my spare parts (it's nicknamed "Franken-array").  We backup our Oracle
archived redo logs to it on an hourly basis using a incremental schedule.
Doing this nearly guarentees availablity of the disk storage unit & keeps
the very frequent backups from making my library frequently shuffle tapes
around.

Because the disk array is very small compared to retention, we have a
process that duplicates the images to tape then expires the disk copy.

The only problem is that a disk array doesn't compress like a tape drive
does.  If you want compressed backups, you have to turn on client-side
compression which loads your client's CPUs.

We're nearly an all solaris environment.

HTH - Mark