Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MS clients include/exclude lists

2003-02-28 11:31:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MS clients include/exclude lists
From: bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com (bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:31:30 -0700
Paul,

  Our master and media servers are HP/UX 11.0 running 3.4.1_3. The Windows
client was a Win2K 3.4.1 client. My admin console is a desktop Win2K unit
running 3.4.1_3 with the NetBackup Windows administrative server installed. It
is not actually a master or media server, but when you look at what is
installed, almost all of the normal NetBackup server tree is installed.

  The problem with the admin consoles is that they have to have a SERVER= entry
in all your master/media server's bp.conf. This is fine if you have good DNS
and your console is on the network all the time. What we have found is that you
have a busy master server, it is querying all SERVER entries in the bp.conf all
the time. If you start having a couple of these SERVER entries time out, your
master server can actually hang.

  So, yes, having an Windows admin console is very handy. But, you need to
treat is almost like a server - have it on the network all the time with a
static IP is best. We have also set up a small W2K server that we can all
connect to with Terminal Server or PCanywhere. This works well for those
administrators who have laptops that are constantly going in and out of the
network with DHCP.

   Bryan