Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-label Tape Ideas and Concepts - Procedure

2003-02-26 11:46:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-label Tape Ideas and Concepts - Procedure
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:46:10 -0600
I've been meaning to send this to ya'll for quite some time...but well you
know between finishing the book, customer visits, family, home recording
studio, guitars, working on my culinary skills, eating and email....well you
get the picture, its a busy life.

HERE's what worked in the past for what I THINK you are looking for.

If what you are looking to do is simply change the external reference to
something different from the internal reference.

Ex.  *RVSN - A00000
     *EVSN - A00000

Change to
     *RVSN - A00000
     *EVSN - LV0001

*where RVSN is the "recorded volume serial number" and EVSN is the "external
volume serial number".

This is what I have done that has worked successfully under NBU 3.2 (if
VERITAS has changed the behavior since then, that's out of my control.)

1.  Remove Tape from tape Library (manually...without using Volmgr to
perform the move.**  use robtest to move it to the cap so you can remove it
without breaking the integrity of your tape library)
2.  Swap Tape Label (in my example, LV0001 replaces A00000)
3.  Replace the tape back in the SAME slot that it came from, this is very
important...!MUY IMPORTANTE!
4.  From the MediaMgr GUI (*if it is still there), select the media (A00000)
and perform an Update or Rescan Barcode.  When that is done you will see
Media ID A00000 and BarCode LV0001.

**NOTE: if you logically remove the tape from MediaManager you will run the
risk of creating a NEW tape when you re-insert the newly labeled tape...you
have been warned.

Finally TEST this out by performing a RESTORE of the data on that TAPE that
you just "re-labeled".

The media Server should still reference it by the RVSN, which is recorded on
the media, but you and your reader will reference it by the NEW barcode
label.

If what you want it this to forever more be known as LV0001 (*fill in your
own label name), then FREEZE this piece of media so that when it expires you
can manually UNFREEZE it and then re-label it using the EVSN or external
label.

This will work under 4.5 even though the help says you use -m <Media_ID>.

bplabel -ev LV0001 -d $DENSITY -p $POOL -o

David

"A new scripting site is under construction...stay tuned for details...look
for it on the Ides of March"
David A. Chapa
Backup Storage Consultant
DataStaff, Inc.