Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Gigabit NIC & Win2K SP3 Network Shutdown

2003-02-18 16:54:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Gigabit NIC & Win2K SP3 Network Shutdown
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:54:36 -0500
--------------030805050409030906070504

Is this a Windows environment?

If so, I remember one other circumstance which caused this; actually two.

When NAV was actively scanning filesystems on this particular server, we
would see those errors during FULL backups. Once I rescheduled full
backups to a day/time when NAV wasn't running, the problem went away. In
my case, we were backing up ~600G, and NAV would typically take a couple
of day to finish.

The second probably doesn't apply, but I'll put it out there. There was
another Windows box (Compaq) which had NIC teaming configured. Pretty
frequently, the job would die with 41 errors. Once we disabled NIC
teaming, the problem went away. Veritas confirmed that they didn't play
nice with Compaq NIC teaming, specifically, but other NIC drivers were fine.

--Steve

Tommy Wu wrote:

>Both Nortel Switch and Ethernet card is set to Full Duplex. The problem
>report shows the network connection timeout (Veritas Error 41)
>TWU

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Is this a Windows environment?<br>
If so, I remember one other circumstance which caused this; actually two.<br>
When NAV was actively scanning filesystems on this particular server, we
would see those errors during FULL backups. Once I rescheduled full backups
to a day/time when NAV wasn't running, the problem went away. In my case,
we were backing up ~600G, and NAV would typically take a couple of day to
finish.<br>
The second probably doesn't apply, but I'll put it out there. There was another
Windows box (Compaq) which had NIC teaming configured. Pretty frequently,
the job would die with 41 errors. Once we disabled NIC teaming, the problem
went away. Veritas confirmed that they didn't play nice with Compaq NIC teaming,
specifically, but other NIC drivers were fine.<br>
--Steve<br>
Tommy Wu wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Both Nortel Switch and Ethernet card is set to Full Duplex. The
problem
report shows the network connection timeout (Veritas Error 41)
TWU

GSCCCA DOT ORG">mailto:Quarantine AT GSCCCA DOT ORG</a>]
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a>
Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Gigabit NIC &amp; Win2K SP3 Network Shutdown

What do the all log entries and problems with backups reports show?

Matt

mitre DOT org">mailto:ssesar AT mitre DOT org</a>]
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a>

Are you sure that your network connections are "shutting down"? What
gives you that impression?

Some hints where NBU and network connectivity are concerned:

- make sure that both server NIC and switch port are hard set to 1000FDX
- increase client connection timeout to something like 4500
- increase client read timeout to something like 4500
- increase bpstart timout to something like 2500
- have you tweaked network buffers?

Other than that, it sounds like your running NBU under Windows, which my

knowledge of is extremely limited. Maybe some others on the list can add

some suggestions.

HTH,

Steve

Tommy Wu wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">We are experiencing some unusual network connection problem