Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris Master server recovery using veritas

2003-02-14 17:36:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris Master server recovery using veritas
From: ssesar AT rcn DOT com (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:36:33 -0500
Here's what I do:

I have an rsync job running on my master server, which mirrors /opt/openv to a
drive in one of our media servers. It mirrors to /opt/backup remotely.

In the event we need to mobilize our DR plan, here's the procedure (tested
more than once):

1. kill NBU processes on media server.
2. move /opt/openv /export/openv.ORIG
3. move /opt/backup to /opt/openv
4. edit crontab appropriately.
3. add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER <master> <media> to my bp.conf. This is
necessary because we have a media server running on our master server.
4. change hostname of media server to that of master server.
5. reboot
6. reconfigure robotics/drives
7. The system is ready for restores/backups.

This has proven to be a whole lot quicker than building a new box, installing
NBU, and recovering the catalog from tape.

NOTE: This assumes SCSI-attached robotics/drives. If your drives are connected
to a SAN, this may not be enough....

My next plan, is to install a second GIG interface on this media server, which
will simplify things, even further!

HTH,

Steve