Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Assigned

2003-02-13 02:31:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Assigned
From: JR.Redelinghuys AT mgxgroup DOT com (JR Redelinghuys)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:31:12 +0200
Hi All

I need some info which does not seem to be in the manuals:

Netbackup : 3.4_3 on Solaris 8 master server. No media servers.

Our client lost their root disk. A new disk was installed and Netbackup was
recovered. Everything seems fine as all the drives, tapes, classes etc is there
as before. The problem is however the Time Assigned button under Media and
Device Management.

Questions:
1. Our client has classes with schedules that places a 2 year retention on
tapes. Should this fact not reflect under the time assigned column? From the
time this tape was assigned to a media server and there is data on the tape
that needs to be protected until the time this tape expires, this column should
reflect that this tape was assigned?
2. Where does this time assigned info come from or where and in which catalog
is the information kept? We checked the volDB and mediaDB and nowhere did it
indicate the assigned times.
3. Due to the fact that there are no info in the "time assigned" column, should
our client be worried that his tapes, that contain the images that has to be
kept for 2 years, can be overwritten?
4. We cannot do a robot inventory, as the master server communicates with the
robot via library station. Can this also contribute to the incorrect info in
the time assigned column?

JR Redelinghuys
Veritas I&S - MGX Solutions
Tel: +27 11 695 2191