Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Addendum to Calendar Based Scheduling Question Posted Earlier

2003-02-05 11:10:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Addendum to Calendar Based Scheduling Question Posted Earlier
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:10:41 -0500

--=_B4EBC694.E382D8C7

OK ... At the risk of beating this beyond recognition, I went out to the =
Veritas support web site and found several hits on this issue. I found a =
Newsgroup article from Steve Staves titled "Another NBU 4.5 Calendar vers=
us Frequency Question" from last August that, although short, was very to=
 the point. There were other hits as well to support this but the bottom =
line is (my interpretation):

#1: If a backup window for a given policy is large (like 5 or 12 hours) a=
nd the calendar based schedule crosses the midnight hour, you will probab=
ly get at least two backup schedules submitted for the same policy (that =
appears to be what's happening to us) because of the way NBU tracks the d=
ays and judges the frequency of the last backup.

#2: According to multiple folks who have raised this question with Verita=
s .... Veritas doesn't recognize this as a major problem. Their solution =
(per Tech Note 248400) is to make the calendar based schedule window a sh=
ort period of time rather than a long period of time. Preferably, just en=
ough to start the policy. I have no idea how this will affect failures an=
d restarts or policies that have the entire weekend as a window.

#3: I find it difficult to believe that ArcServeIT (what I consider a les=
ser product to NBU DataCenter and the product I threw out to convert to N=
BU) does calendar based schedule the way I would expect it to be done and=
 Veritas thinks their implementation is not a problem.

I guess we'll still tinker with it off and on but until Veritas decides t=
o address this (or at least publish in great detail how to implement it s=
o it works every time) we are probably going back to Frequency Based Sche=
duling for the majority of our policies.

I hope the Veritas folks that review this group will take this item back =
with you and realize the common perception of how Calendar Based Scheduli=
ng should work (and does work in other products) is not even close to wha=
t you've implemented in NBU 4.5. You either need to modify NBU Calendar B=
ased Scheduling so it works like the users think it will work or ... dare=
 I say it ... document how it does work so we will know what to expect.

My thanks to Hampus Lind for his response that pretty much supports what =
I've been able to find in the research.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=
 right

--=_B4EBC694.E382D8C7

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4916.2300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>OK ... At the risk of beating this beyond recognition, I went out to=
 the=20
Veritas support web site and found several hits on this issue. I found a=20
Newsgroup article from Steve Staves titled "Another NBU 4.5 Calendar vers=
us=20
Frequency Question" from last August that, although short, was very to th=
e=20
point. There were other hits&nbsp;as well to support this but the bottom =
line is=20
(my interpretation):</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>#1: If a backup window for a given policy is large (like 5 or 12 hou=
rs) and=20
the calendar based schedule crosses the midnight hour, you will probably =
get at=20
least two backup schedules submitted for the same policy (that appears to=
 be=20
what's happening to us) because of the way NBU tracks the days and judges=
 the=20
frequency of the last backup.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>#2: According to multiple folks who have raised this question with V=
eritas=20
... Veritas doesn't recognize this as a major problem. Their solution (p=
er Tech=20
Note 248400) is to make the calendar based schedule window a short period=
 of=20
time rather than a long period of time. Preferably, just enough to start =
the=20
policy. I have no idea how this will affect failures and restarts or poli=
cies=20
that have the entire weekend as a window.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>#3: I find it difficult to believe that ArcServeIT (what I consider =
a=20
lesser product to NBU DataCenter and the product I threw out to convert t=
o NBU)=20
does calendar based schedule the way I would expect it to be done and Ver=
itas=20
thinks their implementation is not a problem.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I guess we'll still tinker with it off and on but until Veritas deci=
des to=20
address this (or at least publish in great detail how to implement it so =
it=20
works every time) we are probably going back to Frequency Based Schedulin=
g for=20
the majority of our policies.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I hope the Veritas folks that review this group will take this item =
back=20
with you and realize the common perception of how Calendar Based Scheduli=
ng=20
should work (and does work in other products) is not even close to what y=
ou've=20
implemented in NBU 4.5. You either need to modify NBU Calendar Based Sche=
duling=20
so it works like the users think it will work or ... dare I say it ... do=
cument=20
how it does work so we will know what to expect.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My thanks to Hampus Lind for his response that pretty much supports =
what=20
I've been able to find in the research.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis F. Dwyer<BR>Manager, Systems Software<BR>Tampa Electric=20
Company</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(813) 225-5181&nbsp; - Voice<BR>(813) 275-3599&nbsp; - FAX</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Visit our corporate website at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tecoenergy.com";>www.tecoenergy.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"<BR>Translation: =
Just=20
because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=20
right</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_B4EBC694.E382D8C7--