Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Calendar Based Scheduling

2003-02-05 08:58:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Calendar Based Scheduling
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:58:35 -0500

--=_8DD2FF82.96F7ADA2

I guess I'll run it by you guys because we're at our wits end. I'm also g=
etting ready to peruse the Veritas support page (you can see I'm desperat=
e).

Environment:

NBU 4.5 Master on Sun E450 (Solaris 2.8), L700 robotic library attached.
NBU 4.5 Media on Sun E450 (Solaris 2.8), L700e robotic library attached.
Patch level on both I believe is 2, but I can verify if you need it.

Problem:

A couple of months ago we upgraded from NBU 3.4 to NBU 4.5 which was very=
 uneventful. Everything continued to function normally. Last week, we dec=
ided to switch from Frequency based scheduling to Calendar based scheduli=
ng (one of the main reasons we went to 4.5 in the first place). We are be=
ginning to regret the decision because nothing, scheduling wise, has work=
ed since. The way we look at calendar based scheduling is if we schedule =
a policy (or policies) to start at 2000 each night and give it a window u=
ntil 0700 the next morning, one would think those policies would start at=
 2000. What we're seeing is some of them may start but many others do not=
=2E So we manually start them. All looks OK but sometime after midnight, =
a bunch of policies get queued up. Unfor
tunately, those policies were already running. So why the duplicates?

I tell you, I have used calendar based scheduling before in lesser produc=
ts and didn't have problems like these. Naturally the Veritas documentati=
on is less than stellar when it comes to this. In fact, we've yet to find=
 anywhere in the documentation what the "Retries After Runday" flag is fo=
r. Even doing a search on the exact text in the electronic manual finds l=
ittle useful information. We used that flag on several policies and when =
they didn't behave like we planned, we de-selected that option.

I guess now to my question: Does anybody understand calendar based schedu=
ling as it applies to Veritas NBU and are you willing to share what you k=
now? In the interest of time, perhaps we should keep it to 20 pages! In m=
y mind it shouldn't be this complicated, however, if there were considera=
tions that needed to be made and planned for, it might have been a good i=
dea to outline that somewhere. I think as a user community we may have be=
en a little selfish and short-sighted asking for new and improved feature=
s in each version of NBU. Perhaps we should be clamoring for better docum=
entation to help us use what we have.

Epilog:

After much manual babysitting last night and this morning, including a lo=
t of cancellations of duplicate jobs, it looks as though everything finis=
hed last night (finally). Hopefully everything is in synch now ... but th=
at's what we thought yesterday and the day before.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent ... I get tired of running in circles =
after a while.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=
 right

--=_8DD2FF82.96F7ADA2

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4916.2300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>I guess I'll run it by you guys because we're at our wits end. I'm a=
lso=20
getting ready to peruse the Veritas support page (you can see I'm=20
desperate).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><U>Environment</U></STRONG>:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>NBU 4.5 Master on Sun E450 (Solaris 2.8), L700 robotic library=20
attached.</DIV>
<DIV>NBU 4.5 Media on Sun E450 (Solaris 2.8), L700e robotic library=20
attached.</DIV>
<DIV>Patch level on both I believe is 2, but I can verify if you need it.=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><U>Problem</U></STRONG>:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A couple of months ago we upgraded from NBU 3.4 to NBU 4.5 which was=
 very=20
uneventful. Everything continued to function normally. Last week, we deci=
ded to=20
switch from Frequency based scheduling to Calendar based scheduling (one =
of the=20
main reasons we went to 4.5 in the first place). We are beginning to regr=
et the=20
decision because nothing, scheduling wise, has worked since. The way we l=
ook at=20
calendar based scheduling is if we schedule a policy (or policies) to sta=
rt at=20
2000 each night and give it a window until 0700 the next morning, one wou=
ld=20
think those policies would start at 2000. What we're seeing is some of th=
em may=20
start but many others do not. So we manually start them. All looks OK but=
=20
sometime after midnight, a bunch of&nbsp;policies get queued up. Unfortun=
ately,=20
those policies were already running. So why the duplicates?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I tell you, I have used calendar based scheduling before in lesser p=
roducts=20
and didn't have problems like these. Naturally the Veritas documentation =
is less=20
than stellar when it comes to this. In fact, we've yet to find anywhere i=
n the=20
documentation what the "Retries After Runday" flag is for. Even doing a s=
earch=20
on the exact text in the electronic manual finds little useful informatio=
n. We=20
used that flag on several policies and when they didn't behave like we pl=
anned,=20
we de-selected that option.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I guess now to my question: Does anybody understand calendar based=20
scheduling as it applies to Veritas NBU and are you willing to share what=
 you=20
know? In the interest of time, perhaps we should keep it to 20 pages! In =
my mind=20
it shouldn't be this complicated, however, if there were considerations t=
hat=20
needed to be made and planned for, it might have been a good idea to outl=
ine=20
that somewhere. I think as a user community we may have been a little sel=
fish=20
and short-sighted asking for new and improved features in each version of=
 NBU.=20
Perhaps we should be clamoring for better documentation to help us use wh=
at we=20
have.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><U>Epilog</U></STRONG>:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After much manual babysitting last night and this morning, including=
 a lot=20
of cancellations of duplicate jobs, it looks as though everything finishe=
d last=20
night (finally). Hopefully everything is in synch now ... but that's what=
 we=20
thought yesterday and the day before.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for the opportunity to vent ... I get tired of running in cir=
cles=20
after a while.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis F. Dwyer<BR>Manager, Systems Software<BR>Tampa Electric=20
Company</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(813) 225-5181&nbsp; - Voice<BR>(813) 275-3599&nbsp; - FAX</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Visit our corporate website at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tecoenergy.com";>www.tecoenergy.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"<BR>Translation: =
Just=20
because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=20
right</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_8DD2FF82.96F7ADA2--