Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Lessons Learned / Performance Tweaking / Troubleshooting Tips (Netbackup Datacenter / DLT Robot)

2003-02-05 08:33:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Lessons Learned / Performance Tweaking / Troubleshooting Tips (Netbackup Datacenter / DLT Robot)
From: boatm005 AT admin.ndis.umn DOT edu (Paul Boatman)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 07:33:31 -0600
Hey Guys (and gals),

I just thought I would start this topic in hope of generating some
ideas on general performance tweaking and troubleshooting. I only have a
few things to start with, off the top of my head.

When you are troubleshooting a "slow" client:

1. Try a backup of the client to a disk storage unit, to eliminate the
DLT Robot / Tape Drives as the problem.

2. If it is a new client, talk to the user/admin and confirm that the
network card is set for 100 FDX (vs AUTO etc..) This has been a common
problem for our site. The backups still run, but they can run for
days... :(

3. Manually TAR a file directly from the client to the Robot Drive,
this will help to narrow down the problem if it is Network or Buffer
related.

When you run into a problem with diskspace on your Netbackup Servers:

1. Check and make sure that you dont have a old images catalog backed
up to disk (from your previous version of Netbackup). Sometimes,
Netbackup Database backups do not expire, and since it won't be up to
date, and could cause problems if you tried to use it, you should
basically get rid of it (assuming that you have a current verified
backup of the database).

This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses.
NDIS -  University of Minnesota