Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] upgarde netbackup 3.41 to 4.5

2003-01-30 15:58:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] upgarde netbackup 3.41 to 4.5
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:58:16 -0500
I'm not sure what platform you're running NBU on, but there's an upgrade
procedure in the installation guide.

My own experience was pretty good on Solaris. My upgrade was 3.4_4 to
4.5 MP3 as well as upgrading the OS to patched Solaris8.

For the Master server, here's what I did:

1. built/patched server.
2. installed NBU 4.5 from cd
3. patched NBU with MP3
4. ran bprecover to import my last DB backup taken under the 3.4_4 system.
5. modified /etc/system, /kernel/drv/st.conf, bp.conf, etc to my liking
6. created all of the /opt/openv/netbackup/log directories that I wanted
7. boot -r
8. configured attached robotics.

This worked just fine. No gotchas, there.

For my media servers, I pretty much did the same thing, except step 4.
Again, this worked just fine.

Here was my only gotcha:

I was under the impression that as long as the master server was at a
rev equal to or greater than the media servers, life would be good. Not
the case. I wasn't expecting to upgrade the media servers the evening
that I upgraded my master server.

To make things even trickier, four of my media servers run at remote
sites, and are not under my control. Two media servers were on site.

My only option regarding the remote media servers was to actually
upgrade them in place. That kinda scared me. I copied /opt/openv to
another partition on one of my local media servers, and followed the
upgrade procedures in the installation manual. Everything went fine. So,
one by one, I did the same thing on the remote media servers.
Fortunately, it was painless.

Log story short, make sure that if you're going to actually upgrade your
master server that you have a good DB backup, and if you can, tar up
/opt/openv and move it out of the way.

--Steve