Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Questions on Staging to Disk and MS Exchange Age nt

2003-01-28 11:41:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Questions on Staging to Disk and MS Exchange Age nt
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:41:00 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C6EC.0A6221A0

I've got a total of eight DLT7000 drives across two libraries (roughly 220
slots total).  Deciding on which backups to go which storage units & for how
long is purely an operation decision with the limiting factor being disk
space.  For that reason, I'd stick to a full/diff pattern and forget the
cummulative images.  There's really only two reasons to do cummulatives,
IMO, and that's speed of restore (which'd be fast enough from disk) and
image protection from tape loss/damage (also negated by disk).

The quick skeleton method below would work fine for what you're talking
about, rather than set an expiration date of "0" with bpexpdate, you could
set it at a week or something & NB will automatically reclaim your disk
space as the images expire.  The on-tape image automatically becomes your
primary restore image following the expiration of the on-disk image.

I immediately expire since my disk "buffer" region is a mere 200G and I just
don't have the space for any retained images once they're successsfully on
tape.  The reason I do it in the first place is that I have 7 production
databases and I hourly do an incremental backup of the archived redo logs to
protect against data failure.  This made the library constantly thrash
then a cron-job starts every four hours to dup them to tape.  If the tape
machine  is busy or unavailable & continue to buffer until it becomes
available.  200M will hold about 2-3 days worth for me - less if it's been
busy.

Let me know if you need help.
-M