Veritas-bu

FW: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 18:07:18
Subject: FW: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: vbperry AT hotmail DOT com (Perry Brown)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:07:18 +0000

>[snip]
> > > 1. With over 200 clients, updating them from one release to the next
> > > requires
> > >    going to each client (via login of some kind) and doing an
>interactive
> > >    pkgadd.  I'm told that NBU allows client updates to be "pushed
> > > out." This would save a lot of time, and be version reliable.
> >
> > True to some degree, my company disabled rsh everywhere so we can't
> > take
>
>ssh is a drop-in replacement for rsh and either comes with or is available
>(for free) for any reasonbly current (ie: less than 10 years old) UNIX out
>there.  I don't have rsh open on any machine I run, but ssh is on all of
>them.  NBU will use ssh for pushing out clients.  If you're not familiar
>with ssh I *strongly* suggest you check it out asap.

ssh got it, running on every box for many moons, .shosts can't use it so
need to put a key everywhere. FYI ssh installes are not supported by Veritas
so if you have a problem installing they will say use rsh, ftp, ....

> > advantage of this so if you are not running rsh you may end up with
> > the same issues. I am looking to using a package deployment to the
> > UNIX systems. Windows hosts can be upgraded via an install from one
> > host (during the install it asks if you want to install to the local
> > host or remote hosts) I have not used the option much so can speak
> > about it.
>
>It works reasonably well, but still only does one client at a time.  If you
>want to do several simultaneously you'll need some sort of Windows package
>distribution tool.
>
>[snip]
> > We are running NDMP on a few Netapp devices and have not had major
> > issues. We are doing volume backups and qtree backups. So I'd be
> > curious what the issues are. Granted when doing vaults you can't use
> > the same drives connected to the Netapp devices but other then needing
> > to over buy on drives.....Is the NDMP issues when you are dealing with
> > a large # of NDMP clients?
>
>The main complaint about NBU and NDMP was the lack of DAR (Direct Access
>Restore) which finally came out in maint pack 3 a week or so ago. Without
>DAR a NDMP restore has to go through every tape in a backup set until it
>reaches the individual file(s) you want to restore.  If your backups fit on
>one or two tapes this isn't such a big deal, but when you start having to
>use more than that for a single backup a restore can take many hours.  DAR
>allows you to skip over the earlier tapes and just uses the one containing
>the file(s) in question.

Ahh, so whree we do mostly qtree backups would limit this need for searching
correct?

On the tar format stuff I have found it handy when our systems could not
read the file format on the tapes via Netbackup. tar was able to do it so
there are some one off cases where tar would come in handy.