Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 16:37:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:37:01 -0800
Well, until last week they did not support DAR.  This is an indication
of their commitment to NDMP (or lack of) since every other major backup
vendor had supported DAR over a year ago.  And dynamic drive sharing for
NDMP?  Don't look for that for another year even though NetVault from
Backbone had it a year ago as well.

For some reason, Veritas sees themselves as a competitor of NetApp even
though their NAS product is light years behind a filer.

The scripting in NBU is pretty decent so you will win on that front.
The client push only works for the same platform as the master.  So in a
mixed environment you will still visit the clients that are a differing
platform than the master.

I will say this, the write format alone might be worth it.  I have had
to recover data from the catalogue tapes many times using tar rather
than NBU.

~JK