Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup

2003-01-24 16:17:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Considering moving to NetBackup
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:17:06 -0800
I'm not sure about some of the things you mention:

>1. With over 200 clients, updating them from one release to the next
requires
>   going to each client (via login of some kind) and doing an interactive
>   pkgadd.  I'm told that NBU allows client updates to be "pushed out."
This
>   would save a lot of time, and be version reliable.

True for the Unix side.  I don't know that you can do that on the Windows
side (in our environment, the Windows admins always install their own
clients).

> 8. LGTO writes in proprietary format to tapes, NBU is modified gnu-tar.

I don't see this is a benefit.  If you have a set of tapes, you need NBU to
restore from them.  I suppose if there was a nuclear war and you were the
last man standing and all you had was gnu tar, NBU, and a tape drive, then
perhaps you'd be further along, but otherwise...how likely are you to try
any kind of restore without the backup software?  Also, I'm not sure those
tar files are really readable in the sense that you can use GNU tar to
recover a file.  You're typically multiplexing blocks from different
clients...my understanding was always more that the tar files on tape are
"containers" (via max fragment size) for data, not "tar archives" in the
recovery sense.

--
 Drew Fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]
 Unix Systems Group