Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Procedure for creating /dev/rmt devices

2003-01-08 16:44:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Procedure for creating /dev/rmt devices
From: veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:44:22 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Donaldson, Mark wrote:

> If they're visible as targets then a simple reconfig reboot should handle
> it.  Either touch "/reconfigure" and reboot our "boot -r" from the BIOS
> prompt.

Similarly "reboot -- -r" (yes, you need all three dashes) will do the same
thing with a single command.

> You can check the drive visibility with "sgscan tape" beforehand or with a
> "probe-scsi-all" at the BIOS prompt.
>
> Yet another alternative is to run:
> "drvconfig && devlinks && disks && ports && tapes" as root on the cmd line
> and it'll emulate the reconfigure boot - although experience tells me that
> this sometimes locks up in high lun-count systems.

With Solaris 2.7 and later you can use "devfsadm" instead of the string of
commands listed above.  And as Mark mentioned it can lock or appear to
hang the machine if you have a large number LUNs but otherwise it should
be fine.  I've done this on systems with 10 SAN drive volumes mounted
without a problem.  Just have patience.  The command can take several
minutes to complete.

> Make sure to use persistent addressing in your SAN scheme - you don't want
> these addresses moving about.

I'll second that.  Cross-crossed drives can wreck your day.

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
=The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has bounds.=
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---