Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] upgrade

2003-01-07 19:10:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] upgrade
From: veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:10:18 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Sadrai, Hamid wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know for upgrading from 3.1 to 3.4, if we need to
> upgrade first to 3.2 with patch and after to 3.4 or we can do it
> directly from 3.1 to 3.4. The plateform is solaris.

You need to upgrade to 3.2 before you go to 3.4.  A direct upgrade from
3.1 to 3.4 is not supported and will not work. Note that a 3.4 server will
not backup 3.1 clients and upgrading from a 3.1 client to 3.4 is also NOT
supported.  Uninstall the 3.1 clients and install 3.4.  Make sure to pay
close attention to OS and patch levels.

I did a 3.1 to 3.4 Solaris upgrade for a client a few months ago and as
long as you're careful you should be ok.  We also had to upgrade the OS
from Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6 for 3.4 to function correctly.  Back up
everything ESPECIALLY the catalog before you start and try to do so with
something other than NetBackup, for obvious reasons.

> ps: If there's any module in 3.1 we must to upgrade them at the same
> time or not?

Yes.  Upgrade all componenets together.

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
=The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has bounds.=
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---