Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions

2002-12-18 02:54:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ethernet Bottleneck - need design suggestions
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:54:20 +0100
If you already have the SAN switches and most of the servers are attached
to the SAN it will bring the costs down (since you already spend the money)

We also use BlackDiamond and Silkworm 2800

We don't have Unix and we use 9940 and not LTO, but that should not make
the big difference.

We don't have SSO in production at the moment but thinking about it (we
have the hardware and the licenses already)

Best info I have about SSO I have from our StorageTek SE's, but there is
also info at Veritas. Your Veritas rep. should also be able to help you.

Basicly what you do is two things, a media server on the servers you want
to "direct" attach to tape drives, and then use SSO to share the drives. I
hope your LTO's are native FC because I think that some people have had
problems sharing the SCSI models over a SCSI/FC converter, but I don't know
that part.

In our installation the big drawback on using SSO is that we have a lot of
servers but not so many drives and since only one media server can use a
given tapedrive at a time all multiplexing must be done on the media server
that currently is using the drive(s).
This is not so much a technical problem as a planning problem, but most of
our backups are sloow compared to the 30 MB/s native speed on the 9940's.

/johnny