Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Breaking up images for optimization of many small files

2002-12-12 13:55:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Breaking up images for optimization of many small files
From: mattm AT m-c-s DOT com (Matt Moody)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:55:29 -0600
When you initiate a scheduled client backup, the Client Job Tracker will
initiate a search of the system to report backup information (icon in job
tray has a yellow arrow).  When utilizing a system with a large number of
files, I have seen this process take hours and 80%+ CPU utilization to
calculate the backup.  While this is happening, the job is active and tape
drives are being held up waiting for the job to start sending data. Due to
this reason, it is suggested to not allow the job tracker to start
automatically on the client.

Matthew Moody
Midrange Computer Solutions (MCSI)