Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Killing a Restore Causes Havoc

2002-12-09 18:28:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Killing a Restore Causes Havoc
From: JGlancey AT CNTUS.JNJ DOT COM (Glancey, John [NCSUS - NON J&J])
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:28:27 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C29FDA.AD0FB0AE

A restore was run to determine which tape(s) we needed to get from offsite
storage to do the actual restore.  Once the job started running and the
tapes were noted, the restore job was killed gracefully (I thought) in
Activity Monitor.  Once my normal incremental backups started this evening,
I am noticing the system is hosed with all devices AVR or DOWN.

A.  What do I need to do to stop a restore gracefully?  Are there processes
that must be killed as well?
B.  Is there a better way to determine what tapes were written during a
backup so I can get them from offsite storage?

SAN-attached Win2000 servers running SSO on NBU 3.41

John

------_=_NextPart_001_01C29FDA.AD0FB0AE

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2655.35">
<TITLE>Killing a Restore Causes Havoc</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">A restore was run to determine which =
tape(s) we needed to get from offsite storage to do the actual =
restore.&nbsp; Once the job started running and the tapes were noted, =
the restore job was killed gracefully (I thought) in Activity =
Monitor.&nbsp; Once my normal incremental backups started this evening, =
I am noticing the system is hosed with all devices AVR or =
DOWN.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">A.&nbsp; What do I need to do to stop =
a restore gracefully?&nbsp; Are there processes that must be killed as =
well?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">B.&nbsp; Is there a better way to =
determine what tapes were written during a backup so I can get them =
from offsite storage?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">SAN-attached Win2000 servers running =
SSO on NBU 3.41 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">John</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C29FDA.AD0FB0AE--