Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] /kernel/drv/st.conf NetBackup DataCenter 3.4

2002-12-05 23:55:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] /kernel/drv/st.conf NetBackup DataCenter 3.4
From: James.McPherson AT Sun DOT COM (James C. McPherson)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:55:19 +1100
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:01:02 -0800 (PST) Douglas Ritschel <dritschel62 AT yahoo
DOT com> wrote:
> After installing NetBackup DataCenter 3.4, all lines
> in the /kernel/drv/st.conf file are commented out. As
> far as I know, the NetBackup Installation manual does
> not mention st.conf.
> According to the Device Config Manual the Tape Drives
> should be defined in the st.conf file. So, what are
> the implications of defining the drives in st.conf,
> after backups have already been run with a fully
> commented out st.conf file?

Douglas,
assuming that you are running a current release (2.6++ of Solaris) and have
a current version of the st driver patch installed, it is correct to have
all the lines in st.conf commented out. If there is a commented-out line for
the drive type in st.conf on Solaris as you find in an st patch then that
indicates that the drive type support is compiled into the driver and no
modification to st.conf is required.

As for implications for backups if you now go and uncomment the drive
types, I have no idea. I don't think it would be a problem but I don't
have any data on it.

James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim PTS Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW