Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Operator tape removal & backup scripts

2002-12-02 13:04:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Operator tape removal & backup scripts
From: timothy.arnold AT becta.org DOT uk (Timothy Arnold)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:04:27 -0000
Hiya,

I have a couple of questions regarding NetBackup 3.4 (running on Solaris).

OK, the first is - what should your operator do when removing tapes from
netbackup and putting in the safe? Do people duplicate tapes, move them into
volume groups for particular days? - do operators generally use the GUI
interface rather than the command line?

The other question is how do I perform cold backups of applications? As I
understand it I can use backup start & stop scripts which will force the
application to shutdown prior to backup and then resume after? Does anyone
have any examples for Inktomi or Oracle?

I am also looking for alternatives for tape backup. At the moment we perform
full backup's everynight. We use a lot of tapes per week and I am curious to
see if anyone has implemented backups to disk etc?

Thanks,

Tim.

*** Send all support request to helpdesk AT ngfl.gov DOT uk *** Timothy J Arnold
Systems Support Officer, Educational Technology Becta Millburn Hill Road
University of Warwick Science Park Coventry CV4 7JJ 024 7684 7169 | 07766
776905 http://www.becta.org.uk | http://www.ngfl.gov.uk

the system manager.
www.mimesweeper.com