Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 on client NT 4.0; OTM delay

2002-11-27 14:05:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 on client NT 4.0; OTM delay
From: david.letnes AT unisys DOT com (Letnes, David G.)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:05:36 -0600
        I have a backup on  an NT client Netbackup 4.5 that is getting
status 14's (tar file write error (10054).  I know this involves a problem
we are having with OTM.  The time it takes OTM to do its setup varies from 1
minute to several minutes depending on the system size and amount its
backing up.  This time I have found to be this....

        Taken from bpbkar log on client
         08:39:13.199 AM: [522.549] <4> V_OTM_CreateSnapshot: INF -
QuiescentWait: 5
        08:43:09.590 AM: [522.549] <4> V_OTM_CreateSnapshot: INF - OTM
Mapping: C:\ --> 0:

        When OTM is running this initial check, there is no info that is
being sent across the Network to Master, but a connection has been made.
Our firewall software is very rigid and the timeout feature is set to 3
minutes right now.  Unfortunately nothing more can be changed with firewall
software such as increasing the timeout feature otherwise it would defeat
purpose of having a firewall since sometimes this OTM setup varies from 1
minute to 15-20 minutes.  The backups run fine when OTM is turned off
because there is no delay for info to be sent across the Network to
Netbackup Server.
           Setting the timeouts higher for client will only mask the problem
and delay the inevitable. I will either have to turn off OTM or find a way
to have some Network traffic during OTM's setup so Firewall software doesn't
shut down connection.
          Has anyone run into this before or found a way to keep data being
sent across Network to keep the connection alive?  Granted the Firewall
software is the main problem so what I am looking for is a work-around if
possible.

        Thank You
        David