Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] db_lock_media: unable to lock media at offset

2002-11-26 16:43:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] db_lock_media: unable to lock media at offset
From: James.McPherson AT Sun DOT COM (James C. McPherson)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:43:59 +1100
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:17:15 -0500 "Teklu, Daniel" <daniel.teklu AT tfn DOT
com> wrote:

> When Netbackup tries to use a tape and encouters somekind of error, it gives
> db_lock_media: unable to lock media at offset (A11239)
> Howevere, in my case it does not go and try the next tape in the drive. It
> keeps trying the same tape again and again..and all my scheduled backups
> fail with Exit 196 (the window closes).
> How can I make it go to the next tape if it failes to mount the first tape?

Daniel,
this is actually covered by a veritas technote - the message means that a
client process attempted to lock the media which is at offset (A11239) in
the media manager database. However, the media record is already in use
for some other process, so the lock attempt fails.

I suggest that you have a look at all the media in your library because it
seems to me that the reason no other media is tried is because this is the
last "usable" media that the vm db holds. Maybe you need to check your
retention policy?

best regards,
James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim PTS Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW