Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Java GUI

2002-11-19 22:58:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Java GUI
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:58:46 -0600
At 11:11 AM -0800 11/18/02, Jim Horalek \(JimH AT FederalEdge DOT com\) wrote:
>4.5 does ship with the Windows Java Gui.
>It just doesn't have a Windows Java Server.
>So all you can connect to are unix hosts.
>
>jim

True, but under 4.5 you can't do much with the windows java GUI.  (see below)

I believe this is a thorough breakdown of the currently shipping
versions' approaches to using an NT machine to administer a Unix
master:

In 3.4, there are three options:
=================================
(1) remote java console
-looks just like Unix jnbSA, allows access to all master server config screens
-no need to modify master server's bp.conf
-prompts for a username and password

(2) windows remote admin console
-looks just like admin console for a windows master server, i.e. it
looks quite different from the Unix jnbSA
-requires modification of the mster server's bp.conf (a SERVER line
referencing the NT hostname, can be a real PITA for DHCP hosts)

(3) remote display via eXceed or its ilk
-not officially supported, glitchy when redisplaying jnbSA.  (most
people doing this chose to redisplay the dearly departed Motif GUI)

In 4.5 there are some significant differences, although nominally the
same three options are present:
============================
(1) remote java console
The Solaris install CD includes this option, BUT upon installing and
launching this app, you'll immediately notice that it's a shadow of
its former self.  All you can do is user-initiated
backups/archives/restores.  i.e. you are looking at a faithful
rendition of the jbpSA interface, not the jnbSA one.  Not too useful
for most NBU admins.  (but according to Dale's email it sounds like
the full admin capability is soon to return to this option...)

(2) windows remote admin console
Now this one's got much more in common with the jnbSA interface on
the master, but it still requires the same bp.conf modification.

(3) remote display via eXceed or its ilk
Stilll not yet officially supported, still a bit glitchy.  But now
there's no Motif GUI.  :-/