Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What is DISABLE_TCP_NODELAY?

2002-11-19 17:36:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What is DISABLE_TCP_NODELAY?
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:36:36 -0800 (PDT)
Does anyone here know what the purpose of the `DISABLE_TCP_NODELAY'
option is?  It looks like the bpsched process, when running with the
-mainempty option, polls for the existence of this file at the standard
expected location of `/usr/openv/netbackup/DISABLE_TCP_NODELAY'.

I can't find any reference to it either using Google or the VERITAS
support site.

I'd gather it has something to do with the TCP_NODELAY option used by
Unix sockets networking to bypass Nagle's algorithm for TCP socket
buffering.  Given the option's name `DISABLE_TCP_NODELAY', I'd expect
that it disables the use of TCP_NODELAY socket modifier.  So I'm
wondering, with respect to bpsched, what's the significance?

-brian.