Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] L700 and Backup Performance

2002-11-13 15:02:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] L700 and Backup Performance
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:02:20 -0500
Environment:

Sun E450
Solaris 2.8
(3) 400MHz processors
NBU 3.4
L700 with (8) DLT8000 drives
L11000 with (8) DLT7000 drives

We recently installed an STK L700e library with the intention of replacing the
current L11000. The L11000 will remain on the floor for about five more weeks
until the tapes within expire. Currently all (16) drives are configured (2
separate storage classes) and online however only the (8) drives in the L700e
are being used for nightly backups.

We cut over to the new drives yesterday and although last night's backups
appeared to be running OK, we had about 70 jobs that failed with a 196 because
the window closed. Prior to cutting over to the new library we were completing
the same number of backups that were running last night with no problems. In
fact, we have one of the DLT7000 drives currently down so we accomplished the
backups with only (7) drives.

I guess what I want to know is are there tuning consideration associated with
adding the new L700e that I need to know about? Even though I'm only using (8)
of the (16) defined drives, should I physically disconnect (6) of them from the
old library? What else should I be looking at?

I'm not a SCSI maven nor do I know a lot about performance and tuning for
Solaris or NBU. What I do know is my backups should be finishing a little bit
sooner (maybe) since I upgraded and not taking longer.

By the way, there is no indication that the jobs that did complete have any
more data than usual.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right