Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Barcode Tag Rules

2002-11-07 12:50:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Barcode Tag Rules
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:50:27 -0800
I was told by Veritas support that you cannot do numeric ranges for barcode
rules - i.e., you can't say "number X through number Y".  That sucks.
Barcode rules are based entirely on prefixes.

One trick you can use is to use numeric ranges as prefixes...depending on
your needs, it may work.  For example, in a recent implementation, all tapes
were numbered 600000 and up.  I wanted about 100 set aside for DB tapes.  So
I set up two rules: (1) all tapes starting with "6000" were DB tapes, and
all tapes starting with "6" go to scratch.  This means that tapes numbered
600000 to 600099 are DB tapes, while 6000100 and above don't match this rule
and are caught by the other.

        001000-001499 -> volumepool1
        001500-001999 -> volumepool2
        002000-002499 -> volumepool3

You could probably do something ugly like a rule for 0010xxx, a rule for
0011xx, etc.

--
 Drew Fabbro, USG [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]
 Desk: 503-450-3374    Cell: 503-701-0369