Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multi-homed media server?

2002-09-27 02:56:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multi-homed media server?
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 01:56:46 -0500
it does work and many people use this.  only two comments though...

1) there was a bug where multi-homed media servers could cause data loss.  it
was only in certain scenarios and it had to do with the names of the storage
units used.  it was fixed in one of the 3.4 patches a while ago.  it was sent
out as a big alert from veritas, so i'm sure you'll find stuff on their site
about it.

2) multiple alias on each media server, but they still share the same media db
on that media server.  you'll see things like multiple entries for each tape
in bpmedialist (gets reported for each media server), etc. so make sure you
are aware of it when you do any scripting,otherwise, it might throw you off.

- Scott

                    "Cornely, David"

                    <David_Cornely AT intuit DOT com>           To:
"'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'"
                    Sent by:                             <veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Multi-homed media server?

                    09/26/2002 11:20 AM

Master Server = Sun E450
Media Server = Sun E4500
NBU 3.4_3

I've been thinking about this so I thought I'd run it by the mailing list.
Would NBU support a multi-homed media server?  I need to distribute my
network based backups across different subnets because I'm running out of
bandwidth and I'm not sure how NBU would work if I did this.  I know it's
closely coupled with the hostname of the master and media server and since
each interface would have a different alias I'm not sure if NBU would get
confused.  Has anyone done this?  Thanks.

-Dave