Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ::LONG EMAIL WARNING:: server replacement + nbu upgrade

2002-09-13 05:15:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ::LONG EMAIL WARNING:: server replacement + nbu upgrade
From: jmaley AT macromedia DOT com (Jeff Maley)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:15:36 -0700
i realize this type of question has been asked ad nauseaum on this list, but,
like everyone else, my situation is unique. we are getting ready to replace our
master server *and* upgrade to nbu4.5 from 3.4.1. my questions and concerns are
below. any input at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

1) is the upgrade process from 3.4.1 -> 4.5 seamless enough to do at the same
time as the hardware replacement? i would build the new machine, install 4.5,
and then recover the catalogue from the 3.4.1 machine. the hostname would
remain the same throughout. my gut says that its better to do this in two
stages (install 3.4, recover, *then* upgrade). thoughts?

2) the new master/media server is a compaq 380 (1.2gb ram, 2x1.1ghz proc, win2k
srv). we currently have 9 dlt drives in an stk l700. ideally, i would like to
add more drives but i wonder if a single win2k box can push more drives, or
even the drives it currently has.

jeff maley                  | 415.832.5414
it systems operations| 415.218.3106 (cell)
::macromedia::          | jmaley AT macromedia DOT com
http://guru:8080/g0d/