Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backup delays

2002-09-09 11:26:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backup delays
From: Steve Kappel <steve.kappel AT veritas DOT com> (Steve Kappel)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:26:27 -0500 (CDT)
There are two things going on here.  One is the catalog post-
processing that NetBackup NDMP must do to convert the inode-based
information provided by the NetApp into the native path-based
catalog.  This overhead depends on the number of objects in
the backup.  Starting with NetBackup 4.5 there is no longer any
catalog post-processing so this overhead is eliminated.

Secondly, dump walks the filesystem before it starts sending
backup data.  A quick google search comes up with this
short overview of dump:
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/osdi99/full_papers/hutchi
nson/hutchinson_html/node6.html