Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backup delays

2002-09-06 18:20:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backup delays
From: jstephens AT ti DOT com (John D Stephens)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:20:07 -0500
Moshe -
I have seen huge delays between volumes as well.  What is going
on is this.  After NBU starts the NDMP backup, it steps out
of the way and idle until the filer signals NBU that the dump
has completed.  Then the filer sends all the meta data to NBU
and NBU then catalogs that data.  Depending on the size of your
backup and the amount of files, it takes a little while for NBU
to chug through the catalogs.  Hopefully, 4.5 is faster at this.
Check your iostat -x and look for the activity on your catalogs
after the filer finishes sending the NDMP job, but NBU still
shows it to be active.  The only way around this is to use
multiple streams.  Be carefull, multiple streaming does use the
filer's CPU more than normal.

Hope this helps.

John