Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Keep source tape mounted during duplication

2002-09-01 20:31:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Keep source tape mounted during duplication
From: DAllen AT axa.com DOT au (DAllen AT axa.com DOT au)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:31:26 +1000
Hello list,

We perform duplications of a number of images every morning.  Most of these
images are on the same tape volume.  The problem is that the source tape is
constantly de-mounted and re-mounted during the duplication process. It can
mean the same tape is mounted 100+ times in a row in a 2 hour window. I am
using the following command :

bpduplicate -sl offsite_archive -hoursago 24 -dstunit flin-psgl -dp offsite

The class has mpx turned on, but usually only one backup is generated at a
time so the files are effectively not mpx'ed.  Regardless, I have tried the
command with and without the -mpx parameter and it doesn't make much
difference.

I have  .....
MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY = 300
in bp.conf on the master and media servers.

Master is HPUX 11.  Media server is Solaris 5.7.  It's a full SAN/SSO
implementation of NetBackup 3.4.1

Any help reducing these tape mounts would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks.

Dean Allen
ISG - Storage Management
AXA Australia

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of AXA.   Thank you.