Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What types of backup schedule does everyone use?

2002-08-27 16:27:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What types of backup schedule does everyone use?
From: CJManders AT lbl DOT gov (Christopher Manders)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:27:44 -0700
--------------3D598178870AE9C0C038C227

Hi,

We do:

1 Full monthly.
Daily diff incrementals
and a Biweekly cumulative incremental

Our users would like to see us doing one full every other month and
diffs daily. That is likely due to the fact that we are charging for
each GB backed up.

Our fulls are retained for 1 year. The incrementals for 3 months.

Cheers!

Chris

> We do weekly full backups with nightly incrementals for general
> systems.  Retention is two months.  We perform nightly full backups on
> our databases.
>
> Weekly, I have a selected set of servers who's backups are duplicated
> and sent offsite for a month.
>
> -M

GB&nbsp;backed up.
<BR>
general systems.&nbsp; Retention is two months.&nbsp; We perform nightly
full backups on our databases.</font>
are duplicated and sent offsite for a month.</font>
net">mailto:nszcyrek AT iocenter DOT net</a>]</font>
everyone use?</font>
and I'm curious to hear from everyone on this list what type of schedule
do they use and why?&nbsp;&nbsp; For example, we perform full backups weekly,
with differential incremental backups the other 6 days of the week. We
employ a 5 week rotation of tapes for the weekly &amp; daily backups.&nbsp;
Also, at the start of the month, a full backup is performed on each server
on a different set of backup tapes, to be stored offsite.&nbsp; Of course,
the full backups are performed on weekends when the server loads are relatively
light.</font>
I've worked for, and it has worked pretty well. I'd really like to hear
from others to help me get a better understanding of what may be improved
upon our own scheduling. TIA.</font>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>