Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Expiring catalog tapes?

2002-08-23 15:29:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Expiring catalog tapes?
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
> Greetings all,
>
> We have some old backup tapes that were once used for the catalog backup =
> and would like to reuse them.  There are no other active images on the =
> tapes, but when I try to use them, NBU says "FREEZING media id XXXXXX, =
> it contains NetBackup database data and cannot be used for backups".
>
> I've tried using the command:  bpexpdate -ev XXXXXX -d 0, but it still =
> says the same message.  Any other commands out there that could expire =
> the catalog tapes so that they could be used for other backups?  Thanks =
> in advance!

The bplabel command suggest that this is exactly when you would need to
relabel a tape...

 DESCRIPTION
      bplabel writes a NetBackup label on the specified media. Labeling is
      required only for media that were last used for NetBackup catalog
      backups or by a non-NetBackup application.

So, I'm supposing you need to either set those tapes aside and resuse
them only as catalog tapes, or you need to relabel it after making sure
that it's not in use.  If you've already deassigned it, then it's not in
use.

I'd do the following.

1) Check the tape and make sure it has a (old) catalog.
# /path/to/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprecover -l -m DLT000 -d dlt
Database Backup Information from CAT000

Created:      05/17/02 01:58:03
Server:       server
Block size:   32768

            Path
            ----
IMAGE1      /usr/openv/netbackup/db
IMAGE2      /usr/openv/var
IMAGE3      /usr/openv/volmgr/database
#

Good, several months old.  OK to relabel.

# /path/to/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bplabel -ev DLT000 -d dlt
Media contains NetBackup database backup data, overwrite it y/n (n)? y
#

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company