Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] vault retention different than original backup

2002-08-21 12:29:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] vault retention different than original backup
From: CJManders AT lbl DOT gov (Christopher Manders)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:29:09 -0700
A couple of things:

1) The PDFs are all there, or should be. For mine it was in a docall.tar file in
/usr/openv/netbackup/vault. All the params are in the docs.

2) the retention_length args are all positive integers, AFAIK. I have not tried
a negative num, and suspect it will not work.

The docs say:
    retention_length is the number of days to add to a duplicate image's
expiration date based on the retention level of the image.

    retention_length <num1> <num2>

    <num1> is a positive integer between 0 - 9
    <num2> is an integer of the number of days to add onto the expiration.

3) you can only have one retention_length param set per dup_param file.

4) It sounds to me that you might want to reverse things. But, I am also sure I
don't understand exactly what you are looking for. In short, the 2 ways
recommended are:

- dup your tapes and eject the ORIGINAL and offsite that.
- dup your tapes and eject the DUPS for offsiting.

By sitting down and figuring out what you need you can make it fit these two
ways. It occurs to me that your system is not why I offsite tapes. Normally
people want the offsite version to outlive the onsite one, since that is for
disaster recovery. Why else offsite, no? If the images expire offsite before the
ones onsite, that would hardly buy any disaster recovery. Normally, therefore,
you would want to make your offsite copy to had a positive integer added to the
expiration date.

Now, let's say you really, really wnat your method to work. I ask no questions
now...just wait until a real disaster does hit and I think you might be forced
to agree with the above method of offsiting a tape retained for somewhat longer
than the original. Anyway, so you would simply eject the original and offsite
those tapes, giving them a 1 month retention via normal NBU means. Then use the
dup_param to add a positive integer onto the expire to bring it up to the
current set you are keeping onsite. So, you would flip what you are doing and
what you are offsiting. By making the originals have the shorter expire and
offsiting those you get what you want...tapes that expire in one month. Then the
dups are the main images to do day to day restores from and can have the
slightly longer retention.

Again, I may not understand what you are looking for. Regardless, I hope this
helps further.

Yours,

Chris