Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Full vs Incremental Backup

2002-08-19 12:29:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Full vs Incremental Backup
From: curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:29:20 -0700
Scott,

You make a valid point.  Using modification time as the SOLE reason to back
up a file is inadequate, which is why I enable TIR. I believe that TIR
would fix all of the issues that you list with modification time.  I
haven't heard the problem that you're stating about TIR and modified date
stamp.  Has anyone else heard this?

The purpose of my post was really aimed at what I feel is the stupidity of
the archive bit.  Yes, it changes anytime you do anything in your list.
BUT, it's also changed many times when you do nothing but access the
file.  I say this because I see the files that get backed up in an archive
bit-based backup.  Things like executables that haven't been touched since
they were installed -- weird stuff like that.

Then there's the whole "two backup applications" problem.  I agree that you
should not install two of them, but there is one installed already --
NTBACKUP.  And nothing prevents joe user, or fledgling MCSE fred admin,
from using NTBACKUP to back up a portion of the box.  It's kind of like
some of the other "landmines" that Windows has, as I wrote about in my
recent column:

http://storagemagazine.techtarget.com/strgFeature/0,291266,sid35_gci843161,00.html

(I wish I had put the archive bit thing in there.  I forgot about that one.)

If you're AWARE and trained about these landmines, then they're harmless.
The problem is most people would have no clue that running an NTBACKUP of
the home directory would result in that directory not being backed up by
NetBackup.