Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] could not write KEEPALIVE to COMM_SOCK

2002-08-09 23:42:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] could not write KEEPALIVE to COMM_SOCK
From: MTNiehaus AT MarathonOil DOT com (Niehaus, Michael T.)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 22:42:08 -0500
Some reasons I've seen so far (not that I necessarily endorse all the
suggestions - I'm just repeating them):

1.  Improper network settings: duplex and speed should be forced to match
switch settings on fast Ethernet connections.
2.  Virus software.  It may interfere with backups; turn it off for the
duration of the backups.
3.  Improper timeouts.  Increase the client read and client connect timeouts.
4.  OTM configuration issues.  Turn off OTM and see if the problem continues to
occur.

I'd like to add one of my own to be considered:

5.  Backups of the master server being taken while other backups are running.
(Our guess: file locks and/or OTM prevent the image files from being updated,
resulting in a failure on the master server seen as a network drop from the
client.  We recently moved the backups for the backup servers [master and
media] to a quiet time.)

-Michael