Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Successful Backups Reported but NO Files Backed Up

2002-07-29 16:11:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Successful Backups Reported but NO Files Backed Up
From: Brett.R.Osiewicz AT irs DOT gov (Osiewicz Brett R)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:11:12 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2373C.15E17DE0

My Veritas Datacenter 3.4_1_2 on NT4sp5 was/is? reporting full backups as
susccessful when really no or maybe 1 files are getting backed up.  It is a
very simple system with only one Master Server and 3 standalone drives.

I produced a list of all client backups; after cleaning up the data, I have
found the problem affected only two servers of our twelve, and specifically
only two classes of four that ran on one of those servers. (More succinctly,
two shares on one of our servers.  Each share was backed up under a
different class.)  The second server was malfunctioning sporadically.  The
first server malfunctioned regularly through those two classes for an entire
month.

I have now upgraded to the latest _3 patch on the Master and client.
Nothing appeared out of the ordinary in the logs on client or server.
No warnings are given the Job Status Window.

Can anybody recommend anything specific to troubleshoot?  I gues I will run
bpimage to pull as much data about each job as possible.  Any other
suggestions?

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2373C.15E17DE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Successful Backups Reported but NO Files Backed Up</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My Veritas Datacenter 3.4_1_2 on NT4sp5 was/is? =
reporting full backups as susccessful when really no or maybe 1 files =
are getting backed up.&nbsp; It is a very simple system with only one =
Master Server and 3 standalone drives.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I produced a list of all client backups; after =
cleaning up the data, I have found the problem affected only two =
servers of our twelve, and specifically only two classes of four that =
ran on one of those servers. (More succinctly, two shares on one of our =
servers.&nbsp; Each share was backed up under a different class.)&nbsp; =
The second server was malfunctioning sporadically.&nbsp; The first =
server malfunctioned regularly through those two classes for an entire =
month.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have now upgraded to the latest _3 patch on the =
Master and client.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Nothing appeared out of the ordinary in the logs on =
client or server.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>No warnings are given the Job Status Window.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Can anybody recommend anything specific to =
troubleshoot?&nbsp; I gues I will run bpimage to pull as much data =
about each job as possible.&nbsp; Any other suggestions?</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C2373C.15E17DE0--