Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows NT Event ID 41

2002-07-26 12:09:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows NT Event ID 41
From: Brett.R.Osiewicz AT irs DOT gov (Osiewicz Brett R)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:09:05 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C234BE.C3B49EA0

I remember seeing a similar event in the event log of my "old" master
server.  I didn't have the time to look too deep into it; instead I was much
more worried about running out of space on that partition.  While I was
attempting to transfer the partition's image to a larger partition, the
process stopped and complained of fragmentation and problems with the cyclic
redundancy of that partition's master file table. (MFT)  Norton's spotted
some problem with the $bitmap and index attributes of the MFT but it didn't
fix them. (In fact something I did made everything worse and the system
would boot, but no application would run) Chkdsk never reported an error to
me.

I wasn't sucessful in fixing the disk structure error, and since I had solid
catalog backups, I threw in the towel.  Last Monday I rebuilt the server in
a couple of hours and haven't seen any otm problems since then.  It also
gave me the benefit of doing a little house cleaning on the server and
revising the system documentation.

I would begin by troubleshooting the integrity of your disk structure.  You
don't want my advice (see previous paragraph).  Go to http:\\win2000mag.net.