Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] read the tapes from the mailslot

2002-07-25 21:33:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] read the tapes from the mailslot
From: Keith_Robertson AT aoncons DOT com (Keith_Robertson AT aoncons DOT com)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:33:18 -0400
We've experienced the same problem also with an STK L-700 and Netbackup 3.4. The
auto update function works as documented as long as the tape drives are idle. If
we load tapes in the CAP while backups are running the library looks at the
first magazine in the CAP and then hangs. The running backups continue and
Netbackup is fat and happy until it tries to communicate with the library at
which point a tldd daemon communication error is generated.

We were going to install patch 3 to see if that would help but it looks as
though you have answered that question already. The latest microcode from STK
doesn't help either.

We've removed the auto update option from the vm.conf file and are currently
manually updating the library inventory via the GUI.

I guess the auto update function is just a goodie as mentioned in the TechNote
but after the problems it has caused I think they need to create another
directory for the not_so_goodies;-)

Keith Robertson

Aon Consulting
University Corporate Center
1100 Reynolds Boulevard
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27105-3400
Phone (336) 728-2291
Fax (336) 896-8343
email: keith_robertson AT aoncons DOT com

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          "Frinzl, Ken"     |
|        |          <kjf40180@GlaxoWel|
|        |          lcome.com>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          07/24/2002 04:49  |
|        |          PM                |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  |      To:     "'Donaldson, Mark'" <Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com>,
"'Bob   |
  |       Grabbe'" <GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com>
      |
  |      cc:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu, (bcc: Keith

  |       Robertson/IT/Aon Consulting)                                         |
  |      Subject:     RE: [Veritas-bu] read the tapes from the mailslot        |

"AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT"  is explained in TechNote 236322.   I have been having a
lot of trouble with my STK L700 libraries and this TechNote.  I'm running
3.4.1 Patch 3.  If I have tapes in the access port  and close the door,
Netback media manager demons hang.  I then can't communicate with the Robot.
My ATL libraries work just fine with this TechNote.

Ken Frinzl
GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
Five Moore Drive
PO Box 13398