Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up EMC BCV

2002-07-24 11:54:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up EMC BCV
From: David_Cornely AT intuit DOT com (Cornely, David)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:54:34 -0700
This is how we do it:

A media server that has access to the BCV's and an appropriate number of
tape drives.  It's running VxVM as is the client enabling us to import the
bcv's as the disk groups they are on the host using the std's:

1) Unmount BCV's and deport disk group (on media server)
2) Establish BCV's (on media server)
3) Verify BCV's are fully synced and split them (on media server)
4) Import the disk group the BCV's now have on them (on media server)
5) Perform fsck and mount filesystems (on media server)
6) Backup these local filesystems to local tape drives (toy with mpx &
multiple streams to get the best performance).

As you can imagine this is significantly faster than network based backups
and the entire process is scripted, from start to finish (we even
dynamically populate the includes list so if new filesystems are added all
we have to be sure to do is add the appropriate number of new bcv's and the
script takes care of the rest).
This is one of the best ways to backup large amounts of data (several TB).

-Dave