Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Switching from NBU on Solaris to Linux

2002-07-11 11:30:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Switching from NBU on Solaris to Linux
From: kmadrick AT bbn DOT com (Kevin Madrick)
Date: 11 Jul 2002 11:30:17 -0400
We're currently running an E-3000 with 2 x 248 MHz procs, 2.5GB RAM,
connected to a Storage-Tek 9710 with 6 x DLT-4000 drives. Our current
load is ~2 TB/wk.

We have a lot of very slow clients, so we're looking at backing up to
disk, and then vaulting to tape. We'd like to have a single filesystem
of ~2-4 TB, so Solaris is pretty much out. Veritas Foundation Suite for
an E-3000 is ~9K$, and we can buy a Linux server for that. Ext3 scales
to 4 TB, so we won't need Foundation Suite.

However, I have no experience sizing a Linux NBU server. Can a single
PIII Xeon handle the above load? How scalable is it? Is anyone running
NBU on Linux? Is it stable?

Thanks very much,

Kevin