Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO tape problems

2002-06-24 10:48:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO tape problems
From: darry AT ftc.agilent DOT com (Darry Cooley)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:48:36 -0600
Hello:

When we were installing our SAN, we were using a straight cpio to write
to some tapes to gather performance numbers.  Veritas immediately
freezes those tapes (the tapes we used for testing via cpio) when
backups start.

My bp.conf does contain the following:
  ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE = CPIO
  ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE = TAR

I have done the following (multiple times):
  vmquery -deassignbyid $x 2 0
  bpexpdate -d 0 -ev $x
  bpexpdate -deassignempty -ev $x
  used gnutar and wrote a small tar ball to each tape

It does "unfreeze" them and makes them initially available.  When the
next backup starts, they are immediately tagged as frozen.

I was going to put some new labels on and see if that makes any
difference.  However, I have my doubts that will fix it.  Any ideas as
to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks...

...Darry